Texas Southern University, one of the nation’s largest HBCUs (Historically Black Colleges and Universities), possesses an impressive array of undergraduate and graduate programs, a diverse faculty, 120-plus student organizations, and an alumni network comprised of educators,entrepreneurs, public servants, lawyers, pilots, artists, and more, many of whom are change agents on the local, national and international stage. Nestled upon a sprawling 150-acre campus, Texas Southern University has served as a cornerstone for developing the greatest potential in leaders from various socio-economic, cultural, and racial backgrounds.
Texas Southern is located in the heart of the city, in Houston’s historic Third Ward, giving its students and faculty easy access to the Museum District, neighboring educational institutions (Houston Community College, the University of Houston, Rice University, and the Universityof St. Thomas), the Texas Medical Center, City Hall, Downtown Houston, and all of the city’s major freeways.
Texas Southern University’s Department of Residential Life & Housing maintains an impressive community portfolio consisting of 2 Residence Halls (dorms,) 5 Apartment Style living communities along with a luxurious style apartment community and condo community for upperclassmen and graduate students.
The Office or Residential Life and Housing aims to support the learning experience of each student by creating a safe, supporting learning environment for academics as expressed in the TSU motto “excellence in achievement.” This will be accomplished through the efforts of professional staff and student leaders by providing safe, clean, well-maintained residence halls/apartment communities and various educational programming opportunities for students’ growth and development.
1. Administer a comprehensive Residential Life Programs with the focus on the individual student.
2. Provide residential students with a quality living environment.
3. Provide diverse opportunities.
4. Provide need-based educational programs.
5. Provide interaction opportunities for faculty student leaders, and resident students that foster
relationships which promote teacher/student understanding.
6. Administer the financial operation of the residence halls/apartment communities with the goals of
price sensitivity and financial self sufficiency.
7. Improve departmental effectiveness in meeting stated goals and objectives through the periodic
evaluation of programs and services.