Students seeking admission to the Graduate School of Texas Southern University should request and complete an application for graduate admission. The application should be supported by official transcripts from colleges and universities previously attended by the applicant. Transcripts are considered to be official only if they are submitted by the registrar to the Graduate School of Texas Southern University. Applicants should complete our onlin application and send transcripts, payment if not paying online, and test scores to The Graduate School, Texas Southern University, 3100 Cleburne, Houston, TX 77004.
Criteria for Admission
For admission to the Graduate School as a degree applicant, all of the following conditions must be met:
- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree, or its equivalent, from an accredited college or university. An example of the "equivalent" as indicated above may be an international student who has graduated from a college university that issues a diploma or certificate instead of a degree.
- A satisfactory undergraduate sequence of courses in the proposed major.
- A grade point average in all undergraduate work of 2.5 (C+) or better or a grade point average of 3.0 on the last 60 semester hours of undergraduate course work.
- A score on the aptitude section of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT), which will be used in conjunction with other admission factors.
- A score of at least 550 on the paper-based test, 213 on the computer-based test, or 79 on the internet-based test of the TOEFL if the applicant is an international student.
- An Analytical Writing score of 3.5 or above on GRE or GMAT exam to fulfill English proficiency requirement.
Admission to the Graduate School is made on the recommendation of the program to which a potential student is applying. The above requirements represent minimum standards for unconditional admission. Individual programs may have additional standards and requirements. Applicants who do not meet all of the above requirements may be eligible for conditional admission. Successful applications who do not score 3.5 on the analytical writing portion of the GRE or GMAT will be required to demonstrate English proficiency by successfully completing the course English 501 Graduate Professional Writing.
Apply now using our online application.
Transcripts, payment if not paying online, and test scores should be mailed to:The Graduate School Texas Southern University TSU Box #1254
3100 Cleburne Houston, TX 77004
Additional documents can also be emailed to our graduate admissions email address at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to mail the application fee of $50 ($75 for international applicants), check or money order payable to Texas Southern University, to the address above. No applications will be processed without payment of the application fee.
Online graduate applications are available in PDF. Click on the Adobe Reader icon if you need to download the software. This download may take several seconds depending on the connection speed of your computer.
*English Proficiency Requirement: Each graduate student who is admitted as a degree or certificate applicant must have an Analytical Writing score of 3.5 or above on GRE or GMAT exam. If the student does not score that high or does not take the exam during the first semester of enrollment, he or she must enroll in English 501.