TEXAS SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY OMBUDSMAN OFFICE
The Texas Southern University (TSU) Ombudsman (Ombuds) Office provides an informal conflict management system for the University community. The Ombudsman hears and investigates complaints about University operations and assures that all members of the community receive due process. To fulfill these functions, the Ombudsman has the authority to obtain access to official files and information.
The Office of the Ombuds provides confidential, impartial, independent, and informal assistance to students in addressing both academic and non-academic concerns at the University-level that established processes and procedures have not resolved.
CONFIDENTIALITY: All interactions with the Ombuds Office are strictly confidential except cases where there is consent by complainant; imminent harm to the complainant, others or University; or a legal concern.
IMPARTIALITY: The Ombuds Office does not operate as an advocate for individuals or the University, but as an advocate for fairness of outcomes. This office considers all sides of a concern in an impartial and objective manner.
INDEPENDENCE: The Ombuds Office is an independent entity and reports directly to the Provost of Academic Affairs.
INFORMALITY: The Ombuds Office works informally to achieve fair and equitable solutions to concerns.
The Ombuds can:
• Answer questions.
• Help analyze your situation.
• Help develop options for addressing your concerns.
• Identify and explain relevant University policies and procedures.
• Listen carefully to your concerns and complaints.
• Refer you to appropriate persons and arrange meetings.
• Recommend changes in procedures or policies to University officials.
The Ombdus cannot:
• Advocate for specific concerns
• Direct any University office to change a decision.
• Make binding or administrative decisions.
• Make decisions for you.
• Make, change, or set aside policy, procedure, rules or regulations.
• Provide legal advice or represent you in a legal manner.
• Replace or circumvent existing channels.
The University is committed to providing the best environment for all of its students, faculty, and staff. We want to assure that all constituents of the University are served well in all situations.
**PLEASE NOTE! Because of the confidential and informal nature of the Ombuds Office, it is not considered an “office of notice” to the University. To give notice to the University, an individual will have to go to the appropriate officer or personnel. **