A variety of insurance programs are available to employees of the university through the Texas Employees Group Benefits Program (GBP). The Employees Retirement System of Texas (ERS) administers all Uniform Group Insurance Programs (UGIP) plans. Plan design and premiums are established on an annual basis by ERS in accordance with state regulations and in such a manner as to be the most cost effective to employees.
Basic health and $5,000 life insurance is provided to all full-time employees at no cost.
- New employees have a ninety (90) day waiting period before they are eligible for health
- Optional coverage must be selected during the first thirty (30) days after the hire
- Health coverage may be selected during the first thirty (30) days or any time prior
to the end of the ninety (90) day waiting period. Coverage will not become effective
until the first day of the month following the ninety (90) day waiting period.
- Eligible dependents include employee’s spouse and children under the age 26.
- As dictated by federal regulation COBRA, group health and dental insurance coverage
may be extended for the employee and insured dependents for a period of up to 18 months
after employment with the university ceases. Group health and dental insurance coverage
may be extended for insured dependents of an active employee for specified reasons
for a period of up to 36 months.
- Summer enrollment occurs each summer, usually during July and August. During the summer
enrollment period, employees can add or make changes to their insurance plans. Summer
enrollment changes are effective at the beginning of the new fiscal year (September
- Premium conversion allows employees to pay group insurance costs on a pre-tax basis and reduce their taxable income. The dependent life insurance and disability insurance plans are excluded from premium conversion and must be deducted on an after-tax basis.
For more information, please visit the Employees Retirement System of Texas website: