To enhance the compliance consciousness of the Texas Southern University in the area of research grants by promoting the highest standards of ethics and integrity through awareness, training, education, monitoring, oversight, and appropriate responses to confirmed violations. Compliance with all applicable laws, regulations, and University policies is achieved through this enhanced consciousness and by providing direction and oversight effectively and efficiently.
Under general direction, the Research Compliance Officer works in a cross-functional environment coordinating research compliance activities related to pre and post award services, substance and subject research, and general institutional compliance. With working knowledge of federal circulars and research compliance guidelines, the Research Compliance Officer will work closely with Directors of Office of Research by coordinating with departments and funding agencies, conducting outreach and educational initiatives, monitoring efforts expended on restricted projects and ensuring research compliance with hosts of pre, post, and substance/subject research issues.
- Monitor project expirations dates and seek extensions / budget revisions from funding agencies. Assist with subcontract monitoring and process carryover of fund balance requests.
- Liaise with principal investigators and department contacts to obtain programmatic reports needed to fulfill requirements of financial reporting and award close outs.
- Collect data and prepare reports on state funded procurement and compliance activities and outcomes. Periodically review and provide recommendations for updates to Research Compliance Guidelines and Procedures documents.
- Conduct outreach and educational efforts to foster a culture of regulatory compliance by educating investigators, and others engaged in substance and / or subject research.
- Monitor effort reporting certifications and distribute risk assessments and conflict of interest statements. Liaise between Office of Research and Institutional Compliance to enforce accurate reporting of effort certifications.
- Monitors status of equipments purchased with restricted funds and perform periodic inventory of such equipments.
- Liaise with the Provost Office and receives directives relative to research compliance of funded projects.
Texas Southern University has several committees who provide oversight to research conducted on the campus. The following link provides information about these Compliance Committees.