This accounting subject guide describes a list of resources--electronic and print in the Terry Library at Texas Southern University. Most of these resources are scholarly and professional including electronic databases, books, reference materials, such as, accounting research information, AICPA materials, FASB content, GAAP compliance, SEC compliance, internal auditing, and finance and management materials. You may access the Robert J. Terry Library Catalog to find books, journal titles, electronic books, DVDs and more. You may access an electronic resource from Find Articles & More where you will be prompted to log in with your last name and T Number.
To begin your research start here:
Subject Specific Databases--include in depth coverage on numerous topics in specific discipline. The articles usually are from scholarly journals and professional magazines.
• ABI/Inform Global Is one of the most comprehensive business databases. It includes in-depth coverage for over 3,380 publications with more than 2,380 available in full text. It also, offers the latest business and financial information for researchers at all levels and more.
• Business and Company Resource Center A fully integrated resource bringing together company profiles, brand information, ranking, investment, reports, company histories, and periodicals covering business disciplines. To search for articles on accounting and taxation, do an article search by keyword and use the subject guide to limit by peer review journals.
• Business and Economics Theory Provides academic journals and magazines focusing on topics in economics including accounting and taxation. There are more than 150 full-text journals included in this database and most of them are peer reviewed.
• Business Source Complete The world’s definitive scholarly business database providing bibliographic and full-text journals for all business disciplines including accounting and taxation, finance, economics, marketing, MIS and management.
• General Business File ASAP Analyzes company performance and activity, industry events and trends as well as the latest in management and politics. Access to a combination of broker research reports, trade publications, newspapers, journals and company directory listings with full text and images are available.
• Hoover Company Profiles Delivers comprehensive company, industry, and market intelligence from a database of 12 million companies including 600 industries, 225,000 key executives , officers and board members, competitors, products and operations, auditors, rankings, related industry information, stock index and historical financials.
• JSTOR Business Collection Brings together titles in economics and finance including publications from leading scholarly societies, and critical research journals in accounting, marketing, management and operations research.
• Mergent Online Offers a wealth of detailed U.S. company data including business description, history, property, subsidiaries, officers and directors, long-term debt and capital stock and company annual records.
• Public Register Maintains the largest one source to easily order current free annual reports, exchange news, industry reports and more. Free Access
• Reference USA Offers verified details on 14 million U.S. businesses and 210 million U.S. residents. That information is brought directly to library patrons, making it faster and easier to find new business opportunities, research executives and companies, find news articles, conduct job searches, research papers, locate addresses and phone numbers. Conduct market research and much more.
• Regional Business News Provides comprehensive full-text coverage for regional business publications. It incorporates coverage of more than 80 regional publications covering all rural areas within the United States including information on accounting firms and who’s who in accounting.
• RIA Checkpoint (To access off- campus, you must register after logging in on the authentication page. For more information call 713-313-4379 or 713-313-7151)
Checkpoint includes the Warren Gorman & Lamont (WG&L) Financial Reporting and Management: FASB contains: FASB Statements, FASB Interpretations, FASB Technical Bulletins; AICPA Accounting Interpretations; Accounting Principles Board Opinions; Accounting Research Bulletins; Accounting Terminology Bulletins; Statements of Financial Accounting Concepts; Current Text- General Standards and Industry Standards; Emerging Issues Task Force (EITS)- Introduction and Abstracts; Staff Implementation Guides- Q&A, Exposure Drafts and Topical Index. Also included are the International Accounting Standards (IAS), SEC Accounting Reports and the SEC Reporting Manual and more.
• Small Business Resource Center Search this database to learn how to start, finance and manage your small business. Resources include sample business plans, how to guides, articles, web sites and an extensive list of subject terms on accounting--including Accounting Principles Board; Accounting Standards Board; accounting systems, accounting forms and more. To access type in accounting in the search box and search terms appear in the left column.
General Interest Databases- These databases cover a broad range of topics and multiple subjects and disciplines and some aspects of business including accounting.
• Academic One File Is the premier source for peer-reviewed, full text articles from the world’s leading journals and reference sources. With extensive coverage of the physical sciences, technology, medicine, social sciences including business, accounting and finance, the arts, theology, literature and other subjects.
• Academic Search Complete Academic multidisciplinary database providing full text for 4,450 plus scholarly publications, including full text for 3,500 plus peer reviewed journals.
Dissertations and Theses – Business This database is the most comprehensive source for information about the U.S. doctoral dissertations. It includes citations from 1881- present; 350 work abstracts from 1980-present; from 1988 to present 150 word abstracts are included on mater’s theses; full text is available from 1997 to the present.
• EJS e-Journals (Electronic Journal Service) EJS is your gateway to thousands of e-journals containing millions of peer reviewed articles from hundreds of different publishers covering multiple disciplines and subjects.
• General Reference Center Gold A general interest database that integrates a variety of sources-newspapers, reference books, magazines, and trade publications. Find articles on current events, popular culture, business and industry trends including all accounting standards for ASB (Accounting Standards Board); ASC (Accounting Standards Committee); CASB(Cost Accounting Standards Board);FASB(Financial Accounting Standards Board); GASAC ( Governmental Standards Advisory Council); GASB (Governmental Accounting Standards Board ; IAS (International Accounting Standards); IASB ( International Accounting Standards Board); IASC International Accounting Standards Committee); U.S.CASB United States Cost Accounting Standards Board; UKASC United Kingdom Accounting Standards Committee ); CICAAS Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants accounting Standards) & AICPA( American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
• MasterFILE Premier This multidisciplinary database provides full text for than 1,750 general reference publications with full text information dating as far back as 1975. Covering virtually every subject area of general interest, including Accounting, bookkeeping; auditing standards- GAAP Board; PCAOB; SEC; Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 (SOX); financial statements and more.
• Newspapers online Newspapers are an excellent source for business and financial information, specifically the financial newspapers such as the Wall Street Journal and the Financial Times. They have financial data on public and private companies, stock reports, market and investment information; SEC information, industry and product information.
INDEXES (Periodical & Newspaper) Print indexes are on the Main campus and housed on the Index Table on fifth floor). Indexes are an important resource tools for locating peer reviewed articles in scholarly journals, news articles in newspapers and articles in trade news magazine. The Business and Economics Library has the following five business indexes:
• Accountants‘ Index call number BUS REF Z 7164 .C81A5 1980–1991 A subject author index and lists books, pamphlets, government documents by author, title and subject. It indexes books and journals in the fields of accounting, auditing, data processing, financial reporting, financial management, investments and securities, management and Taxation.
• Accounting and Tax Index call number BUS REF Z7164 .C81A53 1992-2004 Provides citations to articles covering all aspects of accounting and taxation and related subjects including financial management, compensation, consulting and the financial-services Industry.
• Accounting Articles (Commerce Clearing House) call number BUS REF Z7164 .C81C78 1963-1995
• Business Periodical Index call number BUS REF Z7164.B983 Consists of subjects arranged in alphabetical and articles listed under subject alphabetically by titles of article. Subject fields covered include accounting and taxation, advertising and marketing, banking, communications, computer technology and applications, economics, finance and investments, industries, insurance, international business, management, personnel administration, public relations, real estate, transportation, and trade.
• Official Index to the Financial Time call number BUS REF HG11.A56 1997-2003 This index is designed to provide comprehensive coverage of the latest UK and international business, finance, economic and political news, comment and analysis.
• Wall Street Journal Index call number BUS REF HG 1 .W26 1985- to present Provides detail news and commentary on political, economic and social issues worldwide affecting the world of business including U.S. accounting practices and U.S. accounting firms.
Print titles (indicated by +) and Electronic journals have off campus access)
E-journals holdings are quite extensive and are a welcome addition to the Business and Economics Library periodical collection. They offer our library users access to thousands of full text articles--scholarly and popular. The e-journals may be accessed through the electronic databases A-Z List and Search for eJournals. Articles in print journals and magazines can be found through the print indexes located in the Reference collection on the Index Table on fifth floor. Titles for print journals are located through the Librarycatalog. A selected list of our print and e-journals (full text note) are listed below:
• Accountancy+ full text ABI/Inform Global 1984-current
• Accounting and Business Research full text ABI/Inform Global 1987- current
• Accounting and Finance full text ABI/Inform Global 1979-current
• Accounting and Management Information System full text Business Source Complete 2010- to present
• Accounting and the Public Interest full text ABI/Inform Global 2008-current
• Accounting Business & Financial History full text ABI/Inform Global 2004-current
• Accounting Education full text ABI/Inform Global 1997-current
• Accounting Horizons+ full text ABI/Inform Global 1987-current
• Accounting Review full text ABI/inform Global 1988-current
• Accounting, Auditing & Accountability full text ABI/Inform Global 1992-current
• Accounting Organizations & Society full text Business Source Complete 1976-to present
• Accounting Technology full text Business Source Complete 1926-present
• Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal full text ABI/Inform Global 1992-current
• Accounting Business & Financial History full text ABI/Inform Global 2004-current
• Accounting Historian Journal +
• Accounting, Organizations and Society +
• Accounting Perspectives full text Business Sources Complete 2007-to present
• Accounting Today +
• CA Magazine +
• CPA Journal +
• Internal Auditor +
• International Journal of Accounting Information Systems full text Business Source Complete 2002-to present
• International Journal of Intelligent Systems in Accounting Finance and Management full text Business Source Complete 1992- to present
• Issues and Accounting Education+ full text
• Journal of Accountancy +
• Journal of Accounting Education full text Business Source Complete 2002 -to present
• Journal of accounting and Finance full text Business Source Complete 2010 -to present
• Journal of Accounting & Finance Research full text Business Source Complete 2004 -to present
• Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance +
• Journal of Accounting Literature full text Business Source Complete 2002 -to present
• Journal of Accounting and Public Policy full text Business Source Complete 1982 -to present
• Journal of Accounting Research +
• Journal of Business Finance and Accounting +
• Journal of Corporate Accounting and Finance full text Business Source Complete 1989 -to present
• Journal of Cost Management +
• Management Accountant +
• Management Accounting Quarterly full text ABI/Inform Global 2003-current
• Management Accounting Research full text ABI/Inform Global 1992-current
• NPA National Public Accountant +
• Nigerian Accountant +
• Practical Accountant +
• Public Accounting Reports +
• Review of Accounting Finance full text ABI/Inform Global 2003-current
• SEC Accounting Report (WG&L) + 1987 -current
• Strategic Finance +
The Terry Library uses the Library of Congress Classification to organize and arrange books and other materials into 21 classes. Each class is identified by a letter of the alphabet, subclass by a combination of letters and subtopics within the classes and subclasses by a numerical notation, consequently determining what is known as the call number. The call number is the best and quickest way to locate a book or other materials on the shelves in the Library. The Library of Congress Classification HF5601–HF5688, classifies accounting materials. Several broad subject categories in accounting are listed below with their Library of Congress classification. You may use these classifications to browse the shelves to locate books or you may browse the Library Catalog by the classification number or the subject for books in these categories. An example of a call number is: BUS HF5625.7 .F69 2001 Building a Profitable Online Accounting Practice by Jack Fox (BUS) indicates that the book is located in the Business and Economics Library in the general circulating collection on fifth floor)
• Accountants HF5629 Accounting History HF5605
• Accounting ethics HF5612.15 Accounting Principles HF5633
• Accounting Standards HF5627 Accounting Theory HF5635
• Auditing HF5667 Cost Accounting HF5686
• Financial Accounting HF5681 International Accounting HF5686
• Managerial Accounting HF5657.4 Public Accounting HJ9701-9995
A Selected List of Books Located in the Circulating Collection
To borrow books form the circulating collection you must be a current library patron. Borrowing from the circulating collections on third, fourth and fifth floors are processed at the Circulation/Reserve Desk of first floor.
• Accounting, Accountants, and Accountability. Norman B. Macintosh. Business and Economics Library. 5th floor. Call number: BUS HF5625 .M34 2002
• Accounting Principles, 6t.ed. Jerry J. Weygandt. Business and Economics Library, 5th floor. Call number: BUS HF 5635 .W524 2002
• Accounting–By Principles and Design. Ahmed Riahi-Belkaoui. Business and Economics Library. 5th. floor. Call number: BUS HF5635 .R455 2003
• Advanced Accounting, 8thed. Floyd A. Beams. Business and Economics Library, 5th floor. Call number: BUS HF 5635 .B818 2005
• Building a Profitable Online Accounting Practice. Jack Fox. Business and Economics Library, 5th floor. Call number: BUS HF5625.7 .F69 2001
• The Controller’s Fiction-The Work of the Managerial Accountant, 2nd ed. Bragg Roehl-Anderson. Business and Economics Library, 5th floor. Call number: HF5657.4 .R63 2000
• Cost Accounting-A Comprehensive Guide. Steven M, Bragg. Business and Economics Library, 5th floor. Call number: HF5686 .C8 B73 2001
• Ethics for CPAs-Meeting Expectations In Challenging Times. Dan M. Guy. Business and Economics Library, 5th floor. Call number: BUS HF5612.15 .G89 2003
• Financial Accounting Theory and Analysis-Text Readings and Cases, 7th ed. Richard G. Schroeder. Business and Economics Library, 5th floor. Call number: BUS HF5625 .A2394 2001
• Hospitality Management Accounting, 8th ed. Coltman Jagels. Business and Economics Library, 5th floor. Call number: BUS HF5686 .H75 C53 2004
• International Accounting Multinational Enterprise, 5th ed. Gray Radebaugh. Business and Economics Library, 5th floor. Call number: BUS HF5686.I56 A76 2002
• Management Accounting, 2nd ed. Stice Albrecht. Business and Economics Library, 5th floor. Call number: BUS HF5657.4M3284 2002
• SAP R/3 Financial Accounting – Making It Work for your Business. Zeilinger Brinkman. Business and Economics Library, 5th floor. Call number : BUS HF5679.B7513 2001
• Survey of Accounting. Railborn Watson. Business and economics library, 5th floor. Call number: HF5635.R455 2003
A Selected List of books located in the Reference Collection
This collection has many specialized accounting dictionaries, encyclopedias, handbooks, and manuals that provide extensive history and theories on accounting. Reference materials may not be borrowed for outside use. They must be used in the library. Some materials have been removed from the shelves and are housed behind the Information desk. To use these materials you must present a current TigerOne Card and complete a call slip. The call slips attached to the TigerOne card are held at the Information Desk until the book or other material is returned.
• Accountant’s Handbook of Fraud and Commercial Crime. G. Jack Bologna. Business and Economics Library, 5th floor. Call number: BUS REF HF5668.25 .B65 1993 and the 1995 Cumulative Supplement
• Accounting Standards. Original Pronouncements. FASB Business and Economics Library, 5th floor. Call number: BUS REF HF5616.U5 F537 1982–2003
• Almanac of Business and Industrial Ratios. Business and Economics Library, 5th floor. Call Number: BUS REF HF5681.R25 A45 Latest issue housed at the Information Desk.
• An Accounting Thesaurus -500 Years of Accounting. R.J. Chambers. Business and Economics Library, 5th floor. Call number: BUS REF HF5625.A56 1995
• Barron’s Dictionary of Accounting Terms, 2nd ed. Business and Economics Library, 5th floor. Call number:BUS REF HF5621.S54 1995
• Cabell’s Directory of Publishing Opportunities in Accounting. David Cabell. Business and Economics Library, 5th floor. Call number: BUS REF HF5601.C33 2001-2002
• Dictionary of Accounting, 2nd ed. P.H. Collins. Business and Economics Library,5th floor. Call Number: BUS REF HF5621.C64 2001
• Dictionary of Accounting and Finance. Raymond Brockington. Business and Economics Library, 5th floor Call number: BUS REF HF5621.B76 1993
• Dictionary of Accounting Terms, 2nd ed. Joel G. Siegel. Business and Economics Library, 5th floor. Call number: BUS REF HF5621.S54 1995
• Encyclopedia of Accounting Systems, 2nd ed. Tom Plank. Business and Economics Library, 5th floor. Call number: BUS REF HF5635.E54 1994
• Financial Statement Analysis; an Integrated Approach. Peter M. Bergevin. Business and Economics Library, 5th floor. Call number BUS REF HF5681.B2 B447
• International Dictionary of Accounting Acronyms. Thomas E. Morris. Business and Economics Library, 5th floor. Call number BUS REF HF5621.M67 1998
• Not-for-profit Accounting Made Easy. Warren Ruppel. Business and Economics Library, 5th floor. Call number: BUS REF HF5686.N56 R86 2002
• Wiley GAAP. Patrick Delaney. Business and Economics Library, 5th floor. Call number: BUS REF HF5616.U6 G33 2001-2003
• Wiley Practitioner Guide to GAAS. Business and Economics Library,5th floor. Call number: BUS REF HF5616.U5 W55 2001/2002
The econtent collection has over 28,250 full text e-books. A subject search in eBook Collection (EBSCO) on accounting results in over 10,000 full text e-Books covering various aspects of accounting. You may also check the Electronic Databases A-Z list, for eBook Collection (EBSCO). WorldCat FirstSearch is an excellent source for all types of materials on accounting in many libraries across the United States and around the world, including the Terry Library. Listed below you will find a selected list of e-books from the eBook Collection.
• Accounting Best Practices by Steven M. Bragg 2004
• Accounting Demystified by Jeffry R. Haber 2004
• Accounting for Managers by William H. Webster 2004
• The Auditor’s SAS Field Guide 2001 by Dan Guy and D.R. Carmichael
• Bookkeeping and accounting based on Schaum’s outline of Theory and Problems of Bookkeeping and Accounting by Daniel L. Fulks 2004
• The CPA’s Guide to Professional Ethics by Dan M. Guy and D.R. Carmichael 2001
• Essentials to Payroll Management and Accounting by Steven M. Bragg 2003
• Financial Accounting in an Economic Context by Jamie Pratt 2000
• International Finance and Accounting Handbook by Frederick D.S. Choi
• The Portable MBA in Finance and Accounting by John Leslie Livingstone 2002
• Almanac of Business and Industrial Financial Ratios. 36th ed. Leo Troy. Business and Economics Library, 5th floor room 550. Call number: BUS Media HF5681 .R25A45 2005 (CF)
• Almanac of Business and Industrial Financial Ratios, 34th ed. Leo Troy. Business and Economic Library 5th floor room 550. Call number: BUS Media HF5681 .R25A45 2003(CF)
• City of Smithville Student CD-ROM Accounting for Governmental Non=profit Entities. Business and Economics Library room 550: Call number: BUS Media HJ9733 .W48 2004(CF)
• GAAP Handbook of Policies & Procedures, by Joel Siegal, Marc H. Levine, Anique Qureshi and Joe Shim. Business and Economics Library, room 550: Call number: BUS Media HF5626 .G3 2002 (CF)
• Management Accounting by W. Steve Albrecht. Business and Economics Library, room 550: Call number: BUS Media HF5657.4 .M3284 2002 (CF)
• Personal Finance Resource CD- Accounting Concepts and Applications by W. Steve Albrecht. Business and Economics Library, room 550. Call number: BUS Media HF5635 .S618 2002 (CF)
• Accounting and Auditing (Business Reference Services-Library of Congress)
• EDGAR Offers free unlimited access to real-time Sec Filings.
• IFRS Resources (International Financial Accounting Standards)
• PCAOB (Public Company Accounting Oversight Board) Is a private-sector non-profit corporation created by the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002.
• SEC (Security and exchange Commission)
Selected Internet Resources (Free access)
• Factiva Search the world’s leading business news publications
• Google Scholar Provides a search of scholarly literature across many disciplines and sources, including theses, books, abstracts and articles.
Return to top