- Vocalization to determine a range
- Singing of one prepared solo piece (2-3 minutes in length) such as an operatic aria, spiritual, art song in any language, traditional or patriotic hymn such as The Star Spangled Banner; America the Beautiful, etc.).
- Sight-singing (a short excerpt from a large choral work or a sight reading exercise)
- Testing of tonal memory
Briefinterview with hearingpanel
- All major scales (Performance majors: 4 octaves, all other tracks: 2 octaves)
- Sight reading simple pieces such as those found in the Bach “Anna Magdalena Notebook” or Bartok “Mikrokosmos” Book 2 and 3
Performance: Two contrasting pieces of a level equivalent to Bach Three Part Inventions, Beethoven Op. 49 or early Haydn, Mozart sonatas
- Other tracks: Two contrasting pieces of a level equivalent to Bach Two-Part Inventions, Mozart Viennese Sonatinas, Clementi or Kuhlau Sonatinas
- One major and one melodic minor scale of your choice (preferably 3 octaves, 2 octaves for bass)
- Two contrasting works (fast and slow). For example, a movement from a concerto and a movement of unaccompanied Bach
- Sight reading
Composition and Theory
- Portfolio of Compositions: coming soon
Possibilities: Excerpt from big band selection, bebop melody, jazz etude, transcription.
Demonstrating: tone, facility, range, style, articulation, dynamic contrast, confidence, musicality Horns/Guitar/Bass/Piano - Demonstrate an ability to execute melodies in a variety of styles
Guitar/Bass/Piano - Demonstrate an ability to comp & read figures in a variety of styles
Drums - Demonstrate an ability to play a variety of time feels & set up big band figures.
Select 1-2 pieces (can be the same as your prepared piece) to improvise over that demonstrate
Sight reading is a critical element to success within the jazz & commercial field. Excellent sight reading abilities should be demonstrated during the audition. Excerpts will be provided at the audition.
Selection of scales that you have command over. Some possibilities include major, minor, dorian and mixolydian - 2 octaves when possible.