Emergency Medical Technician
This course is designed to instruct a student to the level of Emergency Medical Technician-Basic, formerly the EMT-Ambulance, who serves as a vital link in the chain of the health care team. It is recognized that the majority of pre-hospital emergency medical care will be provided by the Emergency Medical Technician (EMT). This includes all skills necessary for the individual to provide emergency medical care at a basic life support level with an ambulance service or other specialized service. Specifically, after successful completion of the program, the student will be capable of performing the following functions at the minimum entry level:
- Recognize the nature and seriousness of the patient's condition or extent of injuries to assess requirements for emergency medical care;
- Administer appropriate emergency medical care based on assessment findings of the patient's condition;
- Lift, move, position and otherwise handle the patient to minimize discomfort and prevent further injury; and,
- Perform safely and effectively the expectations of the job description. There is specific education that will be required of Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT) who operate in the field, i.e. ambulance driver training, heavy and light rescue, basic extrication, special needs, and so on.
It is also recognized that this information might differ from locality to locality, and that each training program, or system should identify and provide special training requirements. This curriculum is intended to prepare a medically competent EMT to operate in the field.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Proof of Hepatitis B vaccinate
- CPR course, drug screen and background check
- Driver License or State ID
Course Contact Hours: 150 Classroom Hours
Course Externship Hours: 72 Clinical Hours
Upcoming Session: Contact the Office of Continuing Education
Tentative Course Schedule: Monday-Thursday 6pm-10pm (10 week course )
Cost: $1399 (Book not Included)
Please read the following refund policy as to regards for a refund for a course.
Texas Southern University reserves the right to change or cancel courses at anytime if the predetermined minimum enrollment is not attained. Notification of changes and cancellations will be made by email or telephone. In the event that a course for which you have registered is cancelled, you may transfer to another course or receive a full refund. Furthermore, a Full Refund can only be awarded if a student withdraws five business days prior to the first class meeting date or, as previously stated, if the class is cancelled. There are no partial refunds. Please allow up to 10-14 business days for the refund to process.
For more information, please contact Program Coodinator William Hamilton at (713) 313-7489.