External Advisory Board
The External Advisory Board (EAB) comprises individuals that are accomplished scientists with track records health disparities research and mentoring independent scientists. Members of the External Advisory Board (EAB) are:
- Melbourne F. Hovell, PhD, MPH is Distinguished Professor of Public Health, Graduate School of Public Health and the Director, Center for Behavioral Epidemiology and Community Health, San Diego State University
- Marvella Ford, Ph.D. is Associate Director of the Cancer Disparities Program at the Medical University of South Carolina Hollings Cancer Center and Director of the RBC Research Scholars Program with Voorhees College. She has successfully conducted research training programs in partnership with HBCUs. She worked with Drs. Adebayo Oyekan and Barbara Hayes on their NIH/National Center on Minority Health and Health Disparities (NCMHD)-funded R24 EXPORT Center.
- Mustapha Lokhandwala, Ph.D. is Professor of Pharmacology, Vice Dean for Research and Director of Kidney Institute at the College of Pharmacy, University of Houston. He was a former dean of the College of Pharmacy at the University of Houston and has considerable administrative, training, and research experience as a NIH-funded investigator.
- James Essien, M.D., Dr.P.H. is a Professor in the Department of Clinical Sciences and Administration, and Director, Institute of Community Health, College of Pharmacy, University of Houston.
- Patricia Gail Bray, Ph.D.is the Chief Administrative and Academic Officer and Executive Director of the St. Luke’s Episcopal Health Charities (the Charities), a non-profit public charity formed with a $150 million endowment from the St. Luke’s Episcopal Health System, located in the Texas Medical Center in Houston, Texas. Guided by its Center for Community-Based Research, the Charities have funded 1,500 grants totaling approximately $80 million since its inception thirteen years ago. Served as Principal Investigator or Co-Principal Investigator on 18 public health research grants and contracts.
- Ronald J. Peters, Jr., Dr.P.H. is an associate professor of behavioral sciences at The University of Texas School of Public Health. He has conducted extensive behavioral research with African Americans and other populations in health disparities research involving substance abuse and HIV/STDs.
The EAB will ensure that the specific aims and related objectives are being accomplished and that the faculty development plan and activities outlined for Phase I are being implemented.
External Advisory Board Membership Directory
PATRICIA G. Bray, Ph.D.
Executive Director and Chief Administrative and Academic Officer
St. Luke's Episcopal Health Charities
Houston, Texas 77002
EKERE JAMES ESSIEN, M.D. Dr.P.H.
Director, Institute of Community Health
Department of Clinical Sciences and Administration
UH College of Pharmacy
Texas Medical Center Campus
Houston, TX 77030
MARVELLA E. FORD, Ph.D.
Associate Director, Cancer Disparities, Hollings Cancer Center
Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, Division of Biostatistics and Epidemiology
Medical University of South Jonathan Lucas Street, Room 118F
Charleston, SC 29425
MELBOURNE FRANK HOVELL, PhD, MPH
Director and Professor,
Center for Behavioral Epidemiology and Community Health (CBEACH)
Graduate School of Public Health (GSPH)
Division of Health Promotion and Behavioral Science (HPBS)
San Diego State University (SDSU)
San Diego, CA 92182–7215
MUSTAFA F. LOKHANDWALA, Ph.D.
Executive Vice Dean for Research
Director, Heart and Kidney Institute
Professor of Pharmacology
University of Houston
Department of Pharmacological and Pharmaceutical Sciences
RONALD J. PETERS Jr., DrPH
Center for Health Promotion and Prevention Research
The University of Texas Health Science Center
at Houston School of Public Health
Houston, TX 77030