Introducing Blackboard Ultra Base Navigation for Fall 2021
How did we get here? Texas Southern University’s Learning Management System (LMS), Blackboard Learn, is core to the online learning experience for many TSU students. On August 13, 2021, we will introduce a new, streamlined landing page in Blackboard Learn that allows students and instructors to more easily access important course information, including learning materials, grades, messages, calendars, and relevant links arranged in an Activity feed.
The new layout makes Blackboard Learn more accessible for students using mobile devices and provides a simple, consistent experience regardless of how it is accessed.
What do you need to know?
First, please note that only the home page is changing. Your courses and organizations will remain the same.
In our current version of Blackboard, you navigate by using Tabs (the links across the top of the Blackboard home screen) and Modules (the boxes of information contained on those tabs).
In the new navigation known as Ultra Base Navigation (opens in a new window), the information provided in those old Tabs and Modules is now listed in a menu down the left side of the screen. For those of you who use the Blackboard mobile applications, this should be very familiar.
Instructors: take a video tour of the new interface here.
Students: take a video tour of the new interface here.
Left Hand Navigation
- Institution Page: Contains important news as well as helpful information about University resources.
- Profile: This allows you to manage your online profile and modify your notification settings.
- Activity Stream: See what’s new and coming up across all your courses and organizations.
- Courses: Quickly navigate your courses using search, filter, and favorites.
- Organizations: Quickly navigate your organizations using search, filter, and favorites.
- Calendar: View all due dates and events in your courses and organizations.
- Messages: Stay connected by viewing and sending course messages to/from all your courses in one place.
- For instructors: See what needs to be graded across all your courses, and start grading with just one click.
- For students: Check your grades for all your courses with just one click.
- Tools: Access the tools that live outside of your courses, such as Portfolios.
Creating a Test Course
If you would like to create a test course with Ultra Base Navigation, please contact the Instructional Designer assigned to your College/School via “Faculty Resources” link in blackboard, visit our offices in Hannah Hall Suite 320 or via email email@example.com