Residential Life & Housing Frequently Asked Questions


For your convenience this section provides answers to questions that you may have
pertaining to the residential community.

You can also email us at


Can financial aid pay for my housing?
Financial Aid can be applied to housing after tuition and fees are PAID IN FULL. The amount that is awarded to each student varies. Make sure to contact the TSU Financial Aid office to inquire on your official status and award.

What types of payments do you accept?

The Residential Life & Housing Department at TSU encourages students to make payments online using all major credit cards. Checks or money orders are also accepted and should be made out to "TSU Housing" at the student accounting office.  Please include the resident's name and T-Number on the memo line to ensure proper posting of the payment.  

Where can I make payments?

Payments can be made online through your MyTSU Web account or in the Student Accounting Office. *Note: when making payments in person at the student accounting office in the basement of the bell building , please inform Student Accounting that you are making a payment for your housing or meal.*

Will you send me a bill?

In an effort to be sustainable, we do not distribute paper bills; however, you may log in to your MyTSU Web account to view your balance. 

What if my payment is late?

There are no late fees but review the lease term contract to ensure on-time payment.  Be advise that you will be evicted for non-payment.



What do I need to apply for housing?

Pay $350 upon applying for housing on-line  ($50 non-refundable application fee, $300 refundable reservation fee***), meningitis shots that are within one-year to date submitted to the TSU Health Center and a completed financial aid package.  *Note: if using financial aid and/or paying out of pocket, 70% of your housing balance MUST be paid beforeyou move-in.*

How much does housing cost?

Residential Communities

When can I officially move into my residence hall/apartment? 

The date will be confirmed upon receipt of your EXPRESS CHECK-IN CERTIFICATE that you receive after you housing reservation has been approved.

What are the living communities available to TSU students?

Residential Communities

How much are meal plans?

Meal Plan Dining Options 

Are meals plan required for TSU housing residents?

Yes, all freshmen are required to have the 14 or 19 board plan, while upperclassmen are free to choose from the 5 plans available. Meal plans are optional for students in Savoy Apartments.



What does my Tiger One ID card used for?

Your ID will give you access into your residential community; meal plan dining services in the cafeteria or on-campus eateries, and for library usage.

Do you assist with roommate selection? 

Yes, a roommate profile is included with the housing application to match students with roommate.

How big are the beds in the rooms? 

Beds at Texas Southern University are extra-long twin sized beds.

What amenities are available in my residence hall/apartment? 

Each residence hall is equipped with such amenities as high speed internet access, cable, computer labs, vending machines, laundry facilities, and lounge areas. All apartments include kitchen appliances along with the available amenities for residents.

Where can I do my laundry? 

Each residential community has laundry facilities on property. Students must purchase a laundry card in order to do laundry throughout the school year.

Is there a visitation policy in the residence halls?

Visitations hours for the Residence Halls are established by the Office of RL&H. Visitations are not designed for overnight cohabitation. During certain times visitation is suspended, (i.e. Thanksgiving, Final Examinations, and Spring Break).

Can I have overnight guests? 

Yes, but approval must be given by the Quality Control Manager.

Can I have a pet?

No pets are allowed in the Residence Halls.

Can I bring my car?

Yes, all students that reside in TSU campus housing must register their vehicle with TSU Department of Public Safety. Vehicles registration must be completed within the first ten (10) days of the start of each academic semester. All students who have vehicles must purchase a decal. All housing communities have designated parking for all residents and visitors. 

For more information on parking click here

Will TSU take responsibility for burglary or thefts in the residential community? 

No, it is recommended that all students acquire rental insurance for all personal property of value.

What are the rules in the residential community? 

All university students are governed by the University Student Code of Conduct. In addition, the Residential life and Housing Student Handbook will serve as the official rules, policies, and procedures in the residential community.