Welcome to the Department of Psychology
The Department of Psychology at Texas Southern University (TSU) has
Students interested in the M.A. degree in Psychology are referred to the Graduate School Bulletin of Texas Southern University for general information about admission requirements.
The mission of the Department of Psychology is to contribute to the development of an individual who will assume a productive role in society upon completion of a liberal education. To fulfill its mission, the Department of Psychology imparts 1) knowledge, skills, and values related to the science and application of psychology; and 2) knowledge, skills, and values consistent with a liberal arts education that are further enhanced by the discipline of psychology. After successful completion of the curriculum plan in psychology,
- Students will demonstrate familiarity with the major concepts, theoretical perspectives, empirical findings, and historical trends in psychology.
- Students will understand and apply basic research methods in psychology, including research design, data analysis, and interpretation.
- Students will value and use critical and creative thinking, skeptical inquiry, and, when possible, the scientific approach to solve problems related to behavior and mental processes.
- Students will understand and apply psychological principles to personal, social, and organizational issues.
- students will be able to weigh evidence, tolerate ambiguity, act ethically, and reflect other values that are the underpinnings of psychology as a discipline.