Undergraduate Major in English Degree
The Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) Degree in English, with two concentrations, Non-Teaching- Concentration I, and Teaching-Concentration II. Course requirements for the major and minor programs are summarized as follows:
- The Major in English, Non-Teaching Concentration I – 120 semester hours are required, including the following three-credit courses: ENG 231 (prerequisite ENG 230), ENG 301 ENG 302, ENG 303, ENG 304, ENG 338, ENG 430, ENG 432, ENG 433, and ENG 440 or ENG 441.
- The Major in English, Teaching Concentration II, – 120 semester hours are required, including the following three-credit courses: ENG 231 (prerequisite ENG 230), ENG 301, ENG 302, ENG 303 or ENG 304, ENG 338, ENG 430, ENG 432, ENG 433, ENG 439, and ENG 440 or ENG 441. Individuals interested in seeking certification for teaching in the public schools of Texas should contact the Teacher Certification Officer in the College of Education at Texas Southern University for application instruction.
- The Minor in English – 18 semester credit hours are required, beyond the ENG 200-level core prerequisite: one other ENG 200 level course for 3 credit hours and 15 additional credit hours of 300-level English and 400-level At least one 400-level English course is required to complete the minor.
- Professional Writing Concentration – Students must take one introductory professional writing course, ENG 320 or ENG 338 and five other courses selected from the list below, for a total of 18 credit hours.
Note: If a student has already taken English 338 to satisfy the requirements for the major, he or she must take another course on the following list. Credit for English 338 course cannot be given twice.
- ENG 320 Introduction to Creative Writing
- ENG 338 Writing in the Disciplines
- ENG 347 Workshop in Creative Writing
- ENG 350 Fiction Workshop
- ENG 351 Technical Editing for the Professions
- ENG 352 Poetry Workshop
- ENG 412 Seminar in Professional & Technical Writing
- ENG 452 Report and Proposal Writing
- ENG 468 Creative Non-Fiction
Course Details: Click here - Undergraduate Courses
Undergraduate Degree Plans:
- English with Teacher Certification
- English with Professional Writing Concentration
- English with a Minor
For more information: Advisor for English
Mr. Jacobie Backstrom, M.Ed.
Academic Advisor, College of Liberal Arts & Behavioral Sciences
Art – Music – Theatre – English – History