Residency Info for Texas Veterans

Texas Education Code:   Section 54.241 Paragraph K, line 1  provides a person (veteran, spouse, or dependent) who is eligible for benefits under the federal Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 or any other federal law authorizing veteran educational benefits. The person must file with the institution they intend to register a letter of intent to establish residence in this state and resides in this state while enrolled in the institution. The residency application can be found on the TSU website under

GI Bill® Benefit Programs

The GI Bill is a federally funded program through the Department of Veterans Affairs that helps make college more affordable to eligible veterans, and more recently, their eligible dependents. Each program differs in eligibility requirements, as well as what kind of aid the veteran/dependent student should expect to receive. Listed below are the different chapters of the GI Bill in which Texas State University participates. For more information about the GI Bill, please visit

Chapter Overviews

Chapter 30 – Montgomery GI Bill
Individuals who entered military service on or after July 1, 1985 and who have their basic military pay reduced by $100 per month for the first 12 months and have an honorable discharge. Persons on active duty may be eligible for benefits after they have served two years.

Chapter 31 – Vocational Rehabilitation
Training and rehabilitation for veterans with a service-connected disability that is rated at least 10% to 20% disabled. Eligibility is established through the VA VOC REHAB Office in San Antonio, Texas. Call (210) 699-2327 for more information.

Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 GI Bill
Is a new benefit providing educational assistance to individual who have served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001.

Chapter 35 – Survivors/Dependents Education Assistance
Dependent(s) of a veteran who is 100% disabled or who has died from a service related injury or illness. A dependent may be a child under the age of 26 or a surviving spouse.

Chapter 1606 – Montgomery GI Bill for Selected Reserves/National Guard
Persons who have enlisted, reenlisted, or extended an enlistment in the Selected Reserve on or after July 1, 1985 and serve for a period of not less than 6 years following the date of such action or for those who are active in the National Guard.