Become an Employer/Supervisor
To become a work-study employer (supervisor) and employ student workers, you must meet the following conditions:
- Be an employee at Texas Southern University (cannot be a student worker)
- Must have a Banner identification number
- Must attend Work-Study Success Orientation
- Must complete all Supervisor Forms
- Compliance in Partnership Form
- Rules & Regulations Form
- Must email a Work-Study Job Request Form in its original format
If you would like to employ work-study students, please complete and submit the original signed forms to the Work-Study Office.
All forms must be typed, printed out and signed accordingly. Only emailed Work-Study Job Request Forms will be accepted. No scanned copies.
|Work-Study Supervisor Forms|
|Work-Study Success Guide|
|Work-Study Job Request Form|
|Status Change Form|
|Compliance in Partnership Form|
|Rules & Regulations Form|
|Student Corrective Action Form|
|Work-Study Pay Rate Guide|
|*Please email this completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org.|
Hourly Pay Rates
Effective August 1, 2013, the Office of Student Financial Assistance has established a Pay Rate Guide for all work-study students. The pay structure will create consistency in how work-study students are paid, commensuration's with experience and job function. It reflects three levels of work-study job assignments to reflect skill and experience.
The pay scale promotes equity in administering student work-study pay. Supervisors determine the student's hourly rate of pay based on the scale. The student should contact his/her supervisor to resolve any questions regarding hourly rates.
Click to view the Work-Study Pay Rate Guide.
Requesting a Work-Study Student
To request a work-study student, please follow the steps below.
- Complete the Work-Study Job Request Form. Incomplete forms will not be accepted and will be sent back to the supervisor to complete.
- The supervisor will be notified via email once the position has been posted.
- The student may go online and view open positions on the Work-Study Job Board. The student will select a job for details and contact the supervisor for an interview. The student must bring his/her award letter as proof that a work-study award has been accepted on the job interview.
- The supervisor interviews the student. If hired, the student provides the supervisor(employer) with the Personnel Action Form (PAF). The student and supervisor sign and date the PAF; the PAF is returned to the work-study office along with all other documentation.
- The student schedules an appointment to attend a Work-Study Success Orientation session. This is mandatory for all students and supervisors each year. Supervisors are required to complete orientation prior to hiring student work-study students each year.
- The student completes all work-study forms (with the help of the supervisor or work-study coordinator, if needed) and submits them along with the printed Award Letter (myTSUweb) and PAF to the Office of Financial Student Assistance/Work-Study, prior to orientation.
- The job posting is removed once the PAF have been received by the work-study coordinator.
- The student must provide the supervisor with a signed copy of the Personnel Action Form (PAF). The student may not begin working until the supervisor has a copy of PAF with authorized signatures and/or a "Ready to Work" email from the work-study coordinator.
If you would like to employ work-study students, please contact:
Lisa Johnson - Work Study Analyst
Office of Student Financial Assistance | West Parking Garage
Phone: 713-313-6752 | Fax: 713.313.1859 | Email: email@example.com